The first type of bingo was not how we play it nowadays however there was still large areas that resemble the game how we now know it. The earliest form of the game was dated back as long ago as the 16th century. As you can probably imagine there is a lot of history behind bingo and all the other names it has been known as over the years. Below are just a few of the pinnacle stages which the game has gone though in its long history.
- The original form was found in parts of Italy and it can be dated back as far as 1530, it was known as Lo Giuoco Del Lotto D’Italia, back then and it is still played to this very day.
- 200 years down the line the game started travelling through parts of Europe and it soon reached as far as France, it was named Le Lotto by the French. It was a game which was commonly played by the rich, the game was enhanced and included tokens, gaming cards and numbers.
- it reached Germany during the 1800’s, the Germans used it as a tool to help teach students math, spelling and history. Other nearby countries soon started using this teaching method to.
- It wasn’t until the game hit the States until it really took off. It was used as a way to help raise charities, to mark off numbers players would use beans the name Beano soon came about.
- Toy salesman Edwin Lowe noticed the opportunity of sales in Bingo or ‘beano’ so he arranged the largest ever game, he summoned mathematician Carl Leffler to devise as many gaming cards as he could, Leffler arranged 6000 cards by 1930. It is rumoured this made Leffler go mad.
- The game reached the UK in the 1960’s when it had the opportunity to move into old cinemas and theatres after they where made redundant due to the rise in population of the TV.
- The first online bingo site was introduced in 1996 and now it is one of the internets biggest gaming industries, as it continues to grow steadily.